The Earth Movers Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:29:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to 'EMF' the official Earth Movers Forum provided by SoCalEarthMovers.com. Please take a moment to register and become part of our fast growing community. Once registered you will be able to post messages, start threads, and view all the photos that as a guest you can't!

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Abandoned Equipment...  (Read 2049 times)
Greasemonkey
Forum Oiler
Gold Member

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 05:11:02 AM »

Shadowlake,  I think you might be thinking of a different mine.  The Panguna mine, also known as Bougainville Copper has not been cleaned up as you suggest.  Everything is still sitting there, though not under guard by the locals anymore.  It seems they are actually pursuing the reopening of the mine under their new self ruled government........which is what they were originally fighting for.  They are actually fairly welcoming of outsiders now, from what I have been told.
Gavin84w
Forum Foreman
Gold Member

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 06:01:17 AM »

Maybe the Bingham Canyon slide will help get this copper mine back up and running?
ShadowLake

West Coastin'

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Notice the size of the tree growing through it...

1950's dump trucks.

Sitting beside the above trucks..
ShadowLake

West Coastin'

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »

Parked years ago, and eventually forgotten about, still partial load of screened rock in the back

ShadowLake

West Coastin'

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »

Similar to truck above, was parked running. Still waiting for that next job to come..

A long way from where it began still wearing it's union dealer badge on this side...

Old I believe this was a case converted drilll...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:21:57 PM by ShadowLake » Logged
ShadowLake

West Coastin'

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »

Abandoned gear finding is a hobby of mine, I'll stop and let others contribute before I flood it with my random oddities.
rare ss
Advanced Member

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 02:30:07 AM »

BELL B40 c TRUCKS...western australia

They look familar.. Castle Equipment??

they had afew scrapers back in the day, some 639's too
MRC

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 06:19:46 AM »

My little contribution....an old D455 I found several years ago in QLD. I have no idea why a machine of this size would be just sitting in a paddock not far from suburbia - there certainly wasn't any large jobs in the immediate area - but there it was. I haven't checked to see if it's moved in the past couple of years.

ShadowLake

West Coastin'

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »

While a 980 of similar vintage growls in the backround, still earning it's daily keep along with 4 others; this v12 twin turbo powered Michigan has found something to lean on and take a rust. Since it became in dire need of two tires it's been parked, Everything still works, with a few minor leaks but the cummins is a good runner. It is doubtful she will ever work again, while not condemned to the same fate as many of it's siblings by the torch, she is condemned to rust. Forgotten about is a corner of a pit soon to reclaimed and replanted.

ShadowLake

West Coastin'

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »

While I can't assemble a complete history of this machine, I can say this is a fine example of where hitachi's reputation came from. Delivered long before I was born on a ship from across the pacific, it was brought straight to Cypress Equipment.  There it would be outfitted as an early Roadbuilder for pioneering logging grade. The package included the extra fuel tanks on the counterweight, catwalks, some of the hard guarding, heavier pans, rockguards and the bear teeth on the lower stick, as thumbs were still nearly a decade away from making their appearance. From their is was sent up the coast, and when it was wore out, four plates were added to the boom to allow a mast, so the machine could be utilized as a back spar. Shortly their after the company was purchased and equipment dispersed of, a new life was found for it in a small island quarry which shipped gravel to california. There it would move overs and wait as a back up machine. It was also there she received this modern update of a hacked together thumb. At some point it found it's way off the small island and deep into the suburbs where it rests now, in an old and illegal dump site. The remainds of a black bear beside it are a scary omen of what may come when society surrounds what's meant to be left in the wild.

Sorry, got a little carried away with the story.
mike205

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »

awesome photos ShadowLake!

as for the BELL b40 trucks, they are on the outskirts of Boddington
MATT H
Advanced Member

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »

While a 980 of similar vintage growls in the backround, still earning it's daily keep along with 4 others; this v12 twin turbo powered Michigan has found something to lean on and take a rust. Since it became in dire need of two tires it's been parked, Everything still works, with a few minor leaks but the cummins is a good runner. It is doubtful she will ever work again, while not condemned to the same fate as many of it's siblings by the torch, she is condemned to rust. Forgotten about is a corner of a pit soon to reclaimed and replanted.

That Michigan is huge, awesome find!
cat3208

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »

All very nice pics!! Thanks everyone!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: